What Should I Look For In A Family Law Attorney?
Use this checklist to evaluate a potential attorney for your situation.
- Someone who will listen to you and take the time to learn your case inside and out
- Someone who is detailed oriented
- Someone who does NOT promise you the moon or make unrealistic promises
- Look for someone who will give you an honest and candid appraisal of your case
- You want someone who practices almost exclusively in the field of family law
- A cheap retainer does not mean a bargain; it only means that they will be likely asking for more down the road
- Ask friends, family, neighbors for references
- Hire someone who will return your call promptly and keep you notified about your case
- Someone who you can talk to and be honest
- Be prepared to help your attorney; the more hands on approach you take, the better result. It is truly a team effort
- Interview attorneys well ahead of the when you will need them. It can sometimes take a while to find the right attorney for you.
- Family law attorneys should be resolution oriented. You may think it, but you do not want an attorney that fights EVERY single issue. That will only cost you in attorney’s fees. Having someone who will help you pick and choose your battles is what you should be looking for.